Single Point Setup provides a unique centralized method to administer and manage the Cisco WAP121 Wireless-N Access Point with Single Point Setup and Cisco WAP321 Wireless-N Selectable-Band Access Point with Single Point Setup. Using one access point on a network of multiple WAP121 or WAP321 access points, Single Point Setup provides a single view of the whole WLAN to replicate configuration, security, and management across all access points. Once a wireless cluster is created, Single Point Setup facilitates channel planning across the wireless network, reducing radio interference and increasing bandwidth and performance.
Single Point Setup Benefits
● Configure, manage, and better secure the wireless network from a single point rather than configuring each access point individually; this can save time and money for both network setup and maintenance
● With a web-based GUI and setup wizard, configuring a single access point and propagating the configuration to all the networked access points is further simplified and can even be done remotely. This means setup and administration of the WLAN can be performed from home, a remote office, or while on the road
● Expand the WLAN quickly and easily as your capacity requirements change and evolve, reducing operational costs
● No additional hardware or software is required to manage your wireless network, reducing capital investment
● Channel planning is also managed within a cluster, reducing radio interference and increasing bandwidth and coverage for optimal network performance
● Group up to four access points with the WAP121 and up to eight access points on the WAP321. Mixing a cluster of WAP121 and WAP321 access points is not possible today, but separate clusters easily integrate and interoperate on the wireless LAN. This can enable the implementation of advanced features such as secure guest access in one area with WAP321, while using the more basic WAP121 elsewhere for more simple functionality and lower cost.
Cisco Single Point Setup is a simple, multi-device management technology that allows you to deploy and manage a group of WAP121 or WAP321 Access Points as if it was a single access point. This can save staff time and can ensure the wireless configuration is consistent across all access points in the group.
Single Point Setup is easy to enable. It can be accessed through the web-based, Configuration Wizard or by going to the “Clustering” menu option in the access point device GUI. Simply check the “Enable” box and add the “cluster” name. The cluster name prevents random access points from joining the cluster.
Additional access points can easily join an existing cluster. Simply utilize the web-based wizard on the individual access points to join an existing cluster. When enabled, channel management allows for optimization of the channel plan among the access points within a cluster. The access points can automatically change channels if a there is an opportunity to improve signal quality. This can be done automatically or at a defined schedule to minimize any impact to business.